[ the prototype ]
I built a digital prototype since I didn't have the tools to build a full size table. You can see below 3 different pictures from 3 different positions of the table, but there could be other and not necessarily in this order.
1. smallest position.
2. expanding in one direction.
3. expanding in the other direction.
Since I didn't build a real prototype, I decided to go deeper in the details of how it is actually built. The steel frame is made of U telescopic bars: they are U's so the expansible top can attach to the structure through the open side of the frame, and they are telescopic in order to allow its own expansion.
This is the explanation of the main feature of the table, in cased you missed it from my my last week's assignment.
[ my gap ]
An addition to my table that allows me to switch the use of the table instantly, adapting to my needs even if they are constantly changing.
Primary user needs:
1. The table allows me organize my tasks in a better way.
2. The table changes its use instantly.
3. The table adapts to the existing furniture.
4. The table adapts to my needs even if they are constantly changing.
5. The table has a unique and versatile design.
6. The table is easy to use.
7. The table is built with respectful construction methods.
[ next steps ]
Since I don't have the skills to build artifacts, just designing them, I figured my next step would be sending the plans and drawings of my prototype to the person who will actually build it for me. In this case it would be the person that works with steel [in spanish the translation would be "locksmith", but I'm not sure about that].
I would check with him the dimensions of the bars, and the system I thought for the table top to change its size. This way i would make sure that my artifact could work. After that [and possible redefines of the plans] the beta prototype would actually be built!